Thursday, April 30, 2009

Why Did We Leave?

Earlier this week Nate and I decided to milk the end of the trip to CA and stopped in Hurricane, UT to get a few rides in on the way home. We were lucky enough to cross paths with three great pals from Jackson Hole/Victor and met up for a rockin' group ride on the Hurricane Rim/Jem/Gould's Rim loop. Lots of stopping, lots of chatting and of course lots of great singletrack.

Anyone who has ridden this trail knows that it's often times littered with cows...or at least the evidence of cows. They usually don't get in the way and they are nothing but random landscape ornaments. However, towards the end of the ride two in particular provided a bit more entertainment than usual. I was leading us through a singletrack section and came around the corner to see a calf lying on the ground that had literally just been born! The cute little bugger was covered in goo and mom was trying to nuzzle him to get up. We didn't want to disturb them to we hightailed it out of there. Pretty cool stuff.

Nate took some great shots of our adventure:






Now it's back to snow. Yes, I said snow. We got a few more inches on the deck yesterday. Good lord, I think I am really ready to move. I don't know why we decided to come home to Idaho...these photos reminded me that we never should have left where we were!

3 comments:

Dave said...

So the million dollar question: where would you move to? Obviously a place where you can cycle year round. But where?

T-Race said...

I think we are all thinking the same thing right about now.

Amanda Carey said...

Where would I go? Durango...Flagstaff...Park City...Boise...Grand Junction...Ft. Collins...places where riding is close, as opposed to 12-16 hrs away and skiing is still an option. A movie theater and a more affordable airport would be a treat, too. I would only leave if I could take all my JH/Victor pals with me though :)