My apologies for the lack of race photos. I was a little busy being anaerobic...
I had a great race at Fontana. It was particularly surprising to me, considering Fontana was one of the worst races I had all year last year. Although the field was small (26 women) all of the top contenders were present, minus one or two. I was called up 9th, had a decent start and was very pleased with my overall performance. In the end, I was 13th-a great early-season result for me. I had a few good battles going during the race-with both racers and with my body.
Seems it was a little shocking for my legs to go so hard for so long in the heat. It was not the ideal situation in which to experience leg cramping for the first time in my life but whatareyougonnado? Pedaling through relentless leg cramps during laps 3 and 4 pretty much sent me the deepest into the pain cave I have ever been. I kept trying to reel in 12th place towards the end, but each time I would attempt to hit the turbo button, the legs said "no way." Chole was relentless, too. She gave me a really good run and cruised in 8 seconds ahead.
The Kenda team had a great showing. Andy was 12th out of 110 pro men and Colin was 24th (that was an incredible start to watch go off), Kathy was 11th and Zeph was 19th. Heather has to wait a few more weeks to let her wrist heal before she gets back out there, but she was a pro in the feed station giving us cold bottles on a hot day. The best news? Our mechanic, Chris Magerl, is an angel. He is an absolute pleasure to work with and he made sure our bikes were working perfectly all weekend long.
If you want to see video coverage of the race, check out www.cyclingdirt.org. Colt did a terrific job of covering the weekend. You can even watch video of a course preview, so I don't have to go on and on and on about how much we had to climb, mount and dismount, carry our bikes, ride hub-deep sand dunes......etc.
It's going to be a GREAT season!
No comments:
Post a Comment