Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Afraid of Outside?

Nah. It's not so bad here in the north-country :-) I made it back to Victor from Tucson just before dark on Sunday. My welcoming committee consisted of a blinding snowstorm, a smiling husband and a hysterically happy dog.

Although the high was 5 deg. at the top of the pass yesterday, we still motivated for a nice afternoon tour to hunt down some powder (we didn't have to look for very long.) What I've realized about Jackson Hole is that the winter here is only rough if you lack the umph to get up and go out and play in what ever the weather has decided to do. So, to no surprise, I was quite happy with the day. We just went out prepared-puffy coats, tea and Buffs (don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em). Plus, I had a new pack to try out that Nate ordered for me while I was away. I also got to try out an Avalung for the first time. It was kind of weird skiing with a hose in my mouth, but it's certainly a piece of equipment that I need to become comfortable using. After reading all the reports of how much longer skiers/riders can survive a burial if they have one, it seems like everyone should be using them when traveling in avalanche terrain. Nate has one that is built into his backpack, which is pretty cool.

We got another great sunset for the drive home, too. I don't think I have ever seen a vertical rainbow before.


But, it's -7 out right now. Thankfully I have hours and hours of grad. reading to do-I shouldn't be tempted by outside today no matter what the thermometer says.

No comments: