Friday, October 31, 2008

Fall is Fading...

I have cross fever, so I'm a bit ashamed to say that I haven't touched my mountain bike since Interbike, even though we've been very spoiled for the past few weeks with temps in the 60's with very sunny skies. Fearing the impending forecast (rain and snow is on the way) I took out my fireline yesterday, did a bunch of stupid-hard intervals up Teton Pass and met Nate on the Jackson side to ride the Arrow trail. (There is a great mention of this new trail in IMBA's latest newsletter-three cheers for the Boy Scouts!)

We had a great ride, complete with a run-in with an enormous moose, though it was still muddy in the shaded spots. It was strange to be riding through snow at points-a sure sign that it was likely the last mountain bike ride of the season. Thankfully, I was running Karmas, the best all-around tires in Kenda's line. They shed the mud nicely and hooked up in the sloppy corners no problem.

I'm sticking around Teton Valley tonight for the Halloween festivities and tomorrow it's off to The Cube, a local cross race in Rexburg. I missed the first race of the series last weekend because I went to states, so I'm excited to go support the local cross scene. Plus, they have moving obstacles. The course map warns of live duck crossings. Good times, good times.

Thankfully, I love riding my road bike, so I'm not too worried about the approaching weather. I get to look at views like this on my favorite ride in Teton Valley, the Cedron Loop. These shots are from this past week:

Speaking of views, it's hard for me to believe that exactly a year ago, Nate and I were on our honeymoon in Hawaii hiking to this view of the Napali Coast. So cool. I know when it's snowing/sleeting and raining this weekend, I'll be dreaming of timeshares in Kauai:

But, for now, I have to settle for the views off my deck. The sunsets here never get old!

No comments: