I have to admit, boring had been really, really nice. I've been enjoying the rhythms of the simple life down here in AZ. Big miles, great weather, Trader Joes, farmers' markets and lots of resting and homework in between. Hopefully, I'll have more to talk about when I race for the first time next weekend. Just saying that makes my tummy flipflop a bit, knowing that I've done zero intensity so far this year, a big change from years past. I swear can practically taste the blood in my mouth that the first xc race pace effort of the season will bring just thinking about the physical shock. At least it'll feel short in comparison to the long miles I have been putting in.....right?
I've put together a race schedule for the year that has me super-stoked to pedal every day. Some new events, some repeats and a lot of suffering in quality races on tap. Defending my NUE Series title is the general priority. I have my sights squarely set on the Transylvania Epic and marathon nationals as well. I think the TVE has the strongest women's field I have ever seen at an ultra event. NICE. I have a hearty break scheduled mid-season, am planning on a mix of east and west coast NUE events and also have a lot more time at home this year than ever before. I think that's a function of stepping away from the xc scene almost entirely except for a few early season events. Focusing on just ultras forces you to prioritize and race and travel less. For example, I may have to skip xc nationals so I can instead stay home and see Michael Franti and Spearhead at Targheefest that same weekend (and to rest up for High Cascades the next weekend). You know, priorities.
Plus, the fact that there's a lot more racing close to home-there are actually 2 NUE races within 5 hours of my house-helps a lot. I did get into the Leadville lottery again, but Pierre's Hole is the weekend before, so although I will be racing Leadville, I have a bigger, more local fish to fry the weekend before. Like I said, priorities.
The new training approach has been going very well. I'm really focusing on building the engine this year before any intensity comes into the mix and I'm curious to see how that's going to feel next week. Probably not good, but if there's anything I need more of in my life, it's patience. Especially with cross nationals being in January next year, marathon national in September and Pisgah in October, I have to focus on the long haul this year more than ever.
So yup, life is good, good, good. Albeit a bit boring at this point, when I'm living out of my car/suitcase/bike box once the season begins, I will definitely miss it!
No comments:
Post a Comment