Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking Back

It's that time of year where I have to look back in order to move forward. I have had a great chunk of time off the bike since cross Nationals and plenty of time to think on long skate skiing and backcountry adventures. However, unlike so many blogs, tv shows and magazine/newspaper articles at this time of year, this isn't going to be Amanda's "greatest hits" of 2010. But it is an opportunity to reflect briefly on my year seeing as it is -10 outside...well, right now, all I have is time.

So how'd 2010 go? Results wise, I think well. I won 4 NUE series races and the NUE series title, Iceman, and the Pisgah stage race (which was the best riding I have ever done). I came oh-so-close to a Master's National Championship in cross and made the top ten in the Elite race I was gunning for all year. I raced in tons of new places, made lots of new friends and gained an even deeper respect for my husband and all his always available on-demand mechanical skills. I learned that I am good at racing in the mud. I confirmed that I still like to suffer and ultimately prefer ultras to cross country racing. I learned that the Felt Nine 29er HT is the bomb-diggity ultra-endurance race machine, that Karmas are still my favorite tire and I learned that there's no one in the world I'd rather ride with than my sister and/or Nate.

Of course there were some rough times. Flatting and having poor performances at both the Leadville 100 and the Firecracker 50 were real downers and tough to swallow. Especially because I flatted at both those races in 2009 as well. I learned a lot from those experiences, too.

Most importantly, my year was a great one thanks to a long list of wonderful sponsors. That list to the right of this entry "sponsors" is full of great companies that have generously supported me all year long, and in many cases, the last 3 years. I am extremely grateful for their support and realize that I'd be nowhere with out them! Although I've made a few significant changes for 2011, I am most grateful to say that I will once again be riding for the Kenda/Felt team with the same awesome teammates and many of the same sponsors. Looking ahead has never looked so good.

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: