The pre-race week was no fun. No fun at all. Like I noted post Iceman, I had such a terrible flu I wouldn't have cared if I died on the couch. But, by Thursday I felt close to normal, albeit a little weak and was able to go for a little spin on my new wheels!
After the first few pedal strokes I knew what all the fuss was about. Words can't articulate the difference between my old set up (Stan's 355's set up tubeless) and my new American Classic Carbon 58s. Even during the mellow spin along the BLM back roads of Kremmling behind my sister's house I could tell one thing for sure: I just got faster through no additional effort or training-yahoo! A huge thanks to American Classic for hooking me up with some really nice wheels for cross season. And no, Felt and AC did not coordinate the color scheme on my behalf. But you have to admit, together they make one sexy combination:
Thanks to AC, Nate was also able to expand on his ever growing mechanical skill set by learning how to glue tubulars. I can't even fathom the stress of gluing tubies for the first time, but Nate was over the top diligent about doing it right. Rather than passing the buck to a local shop he did a ton of research and even took the time to go into Stu Thorne's shop in Mass. when we were home for a visit back in October to get advice from the legend himself. Again, how lucky am I to be married to such a great mechanic?!?One more technical note on my bikes. Nate got me set up on some TRP CX9 brakes this year. He bought a few pairs at Interbike on the advice of some of the Giant mechanics-thank god for that because I hear they are so popular you can't find them. They are slightly heavier than cantis but the stopping power is unbelievable. They are so darn strong that I can now ride my cross bikes as I do my mountain bikes that have disc brakes (meaning I can brake harder, for shorter amounts of time which is way faster than dragging on them for longer). I love them and this weekend proved to me that they are at no disadvantage in the mud.
Oh, yeah, about the weekend of racing: The USGP series just rocks. Huge crowds, a ton of excitement, deep, deep fields and fantastic course design. The organization is totally dialed. Saturday's race brought the first real cross weather/conditions of the year: super muddy and cold! Strangely, even after practicing in the mud the previous weekend at Iceman, Saturday was the most I have struggled on a bike in a long time. I admittedly was running my psi in my first race on tubulars way too high and I suffered because of my poor decision. I know everyone struggled and it was a race of who bobbled the least, but I brought riding like a weenie to a new level on Saturday.
I knew I had a better ride in me on Sunday. I dropped my psi significantly and readjusted my headspace according to the slightly drier, more tacky conditions. I had a much better start and even though I was shed from the group that eventually came in 8-11th, I was happy with my post flu effort. Laura Van Gilder and I battled the entire last lap. I tried a measly attack on the last major hill of the course but was unable to shed her. And well, rolling into a finish line with Laura anywhere close to your wheel, either ahead or behind, we all know how that finish is going to go down. I came in 12th, 2 sec. behind LVG.
Nate was great in the pits even after racing his moto early that morning and battling his own version of the flu all week. We decided to spend the night again in Ft. Collins and went to a fun Brazilian restaurant for dinner to celebrate my Iceman win. Great wine, super food and the engaging eating experience of having multiple gauchos come to your table with various meat selections (ever tried wild boar???) was rad. After a long weekend of racing in the cold, it was the perfect ending to a month long road trip.
Now we're home for a week before heading to Jinglecross. Outdoor riding/training is definitely over for the year as it has been nuking snow since we got back, so it's time to make friends with the trainer again. Sigh. Oh well, less than 1 month until Nationals and then it'll be ski season during which I get to tele to my heart's content on possibly the most graphically offensive skis ever made (The Rossi S7s):
3 comments:
I saw that crash at the start. It was UGLY! I'm glad to hear she is okay.
Amanda,
Those skis are ugly! Great intimidation factor for the half pipe kids. And amazing racing all fall, so fun to see your continued (and growing) success. Hey, what kind of trainer are you using? Is it senseless to try to perfect rollers, especially if I am really training for long SS efforts? Are you riding mountain bikes on a trainer or road? Just curious as I look for the best setup to encourage me to maintain something over the winter. Thanks, and great racing...Colts making you a household name...ahem, amongst cyclo-nerds at least ;-) Look forward to hearing what you have to say about stationary training, and we'll save you some freshies!!!
Hami-Don't get me started on the skis. I have been told the embarrassment will be worth it in the deep. I recently got a Kinetic Road Machine (fluid trainer) and am really happy with it-it's the quietest trainer I've ever used. Smooth too. I ride my road bike on the trainer if it's a power workout day and put my 29er on there with a slick if I'm just spinning. I'm not talented (i.e focused) enough for rollers and have never used them. The key is having your set up be easy, comfortable and motivating. Do whatever you have to do to create a motivating environment. For me that means leaving it all set up, with a stack of DVDs (TGR flicks are good) a great set of speakers, a fan, a supply of towels, chamois cream-you name it, I have it right there so it's one less step to get my fanny on the saddle. Lots of Rage Against the Machine too.
Post a Comment