
Racing this distance at this point of the season can go one of two ways depending on how motivated you are and how good you feel. As this was my 5th 100-miler of the year (in addition to a 12-hr event, multiple national-level xc events, marathon nationals and a 100k) it could have gone either way. As I am on a borrowed laptop because my hard drive crashed 2 weeks ago and is still out for repair, I'll save you the long-winded blow by blow race report.
In short, it was the hardest NUE I did all year. The weather (I am still in shock, really) couldn't have been any more perfect. The field was deep (30 women!), the course was hard and I suffered. I went into the race most concerned about Cheryl Sorenson as we were neck and neck for the NUE series title and this result would determine the overall series winner. It ended up that I had Sue Haywood on my wheel until mile 75 which made the day a lot more fun, but also a LOT more challenging, stressful, strategic and HARD. We were in a pattern of me gaining time on the climbs and Sue smoking me on all the descents all day. I finally decided to make my move just before the aid station at mile 75, knowing that I had to make up enough time on the remainder of the climbing so she couldn't catch me on the down before the finish. I was struggling with the same mechanicals all day and it made the descents scary.
I finished first just 5 1/2 min. ahead of Sue in 8:23 with no front brake and a huge sigh of relief. And, I got what I came for:
The SM100 was the best event of the series. I know all volunteers rock, but Chris and his army made this event extra special. I never had to get off my bike at any of the aid stations. I simply stood there while one person got my drop bag and held it while another took stuff out for me and stuffed my pockets. All racers know and appreciate how much of a help that is-Thanks everyone! The post race party was incredible with unlimited food, beer and smiles. Equal payout too! This is one race I will most definitely return to and recommend to everyone. As part of my NUE Series title is free entry to all the 2011 events, I'll be back!

1 comment:
Congrats on another victory! I like that it's you on the trophy. It only seems right given how you totally kicked butt in the series.
Post a Comment