That's how I got myself to get on a plane 3 days after Leadville to go out to another 100-miler. No thinking, just go. It's a good thing I have the distraction of preparing for another long day of racing because quite frankly, Leadville hurt. The entire experience took a lot out of me for more reasons than I ever imagined and I am happy that I am not at home stewing over all that went wrong and why. Instead, I am in Georgia getting ready for the Fool's Gold 100. Thankfully, my legs are recovering a lot faster than my head. Maybe it's because there's so much oxygen here in Georgia. I arrived in Atlanta last night and almost fell over when the wall of humidity hit me as I deplaned. But you know what? It actually felt good. Really good. It literally hit me like a ton of bricks that I am in a new place for a new race and there was a new day waiting for me outside the airport. No thinking, just moving forward. Oh, yeah, and singletrack!
Call me crazy (I am used to it) but I came to Georgia for the 7th race of the National Ultra Endurance series so I can try to go for the overall title, meaning I have to do 4 of the 8 races. With that goal in mind I had to come here and race 6 days after Leadville. Will I be ready? There's really no way to tell, but I do know that I cannot wait to be able to breathe deeply, hit my normal HR max and actually ride some terrain that mountain bikes are designed for.
Today I put the monotony of the Leadville course behind me and tore up 20 miles of sweet Georgia singletrack at the Chicopee trails at the Elachee Nature Center. Man, it felt great to turn and handle my bike! I have good friends putting me up in a wonderful house in Gainesville and it seems like this week is going to be all about enjoying a great ride. Tomorrow I'm heading up to preview the course and can't wait to see what I am in for.
1 comment:
Good luck and use something to help keep the sweat out of your eyes. It will help with fatigue.
Post a Comment