Monday, July 5, 2010

The Break Up Letter

Dear Firecracker 50,

There's no easy way to say it, so I thought a letter would be the easiest and best way to tell you that it is over between us. I am breaking up with you.

We've been trying to make it work for the last three years. I had hoped that maybe this year would be different. I even got my lucky 13 as my number plate. I was feeling really good, put extra stans in my higher than normal volume tires and was ready to give it another go.

As you must certainly remember, for the past 2 years you squashed my dreams and the possibility of a great results with serious flat tires that stans and CO2 could not fix, far away from aid stations. It was okay; I tried not to hold it against you. At least I tried my hardest and had brought my A-game to you, 2 years in a row. But, what I have finally learned and why it is over between us is that my A-game can no longer be itself around you.

You see, I finally decided to follow my true racing strengths and passion, leading me to spend my entire season racing 100-mile races at sea level. I am sure this did nothing but strain our already failing relationship. I guess what it comes down to is you are you and I am me and this relationship was seriously never meant to be.

Why now? This year was different and I think it's how I know we are sooooo over. I guess I made some mistakes and can't blame it all on you, your sharp rocks, thick roots and long climbs at high altitude. I have to take some blame, too. After 10 short minutes of climbing I realized that my legs were just rotten. And no, they did not open up to you, even after hours trying to get them to. And yes, I made the unfortunate discovery at the start line that my fork was blown, making it a very rough ride on my beloved Felt 29er from the very beginning. So, perhaps I shouldn't entirely blame my front flat 1/2 way through lap 2 all on you. I actually think you were being kind to me by not flatting me sooner with limited suspension. Thanks for that.

I certainly cannot blame you for making the skewer on the replacement wheel I got 15 min. later repeatedly come loose for the rest of the race. I also cannot blame you for the chain suck that bent my derailleur and made it very hard to pedal for the last 1/2 lap.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel that you are a wonderful race, one of the best. And I still managed to finish you in 7th place. There is a reason you sold out 750 spots months before the event. You give great schwagg, provide wonderful support at aid stations and your directors sure do know a thing or two about putting on an excellent race. You have been very nice to a lot of people, especially good friends of mine like Krista (well, I think it's all her, not you) and you have a very loyal following. You even dish out a bit of good singletrack and killer views. But this year, you crossed the line by being mean to my teammates. Did you have to give Andy a concussion? Did you have to throw a huge nail into Colin's tire when he was riding like a superstar in 4th? You are so immature.

And I suppose this is where I have to draw the line. You have messed with me for many years, but now you are messing with my teammates, too??? buh-bye.

Before this letter takes on an even more resentful tone, let me just say this. Don't be surprised when more people than me break it off with you next year. Not because you have developed a reputation for costing racers a lot of money to fix equipment. Not because you scorch lungs and make racers feel like they are breathing out of straws, and not because you make them climb over 10,000 feet of vertical in 50 miles, mostly above 10,000 feet. But, because finally, after 10 years of loyalty, USA cycling is probably ditching you for a long-awaited change of venue for the Marathon National Championships. That's right Firecracker, I hear you are being dumped for Bend, OR. As much as I may have claimed to love you in the past...well, I couldn't agree with the decision more.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. I am doing what I was tempted to do this year and probably what I should have done all along.

Just so you don't have to hear it from anyone else, I am leaving you for the BC Bike Race.

Amanda

2 comments:

Dave said...

This post is best read with "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. playing in the background. A justified breakup if I ever saw one...Love it.

andrea@brickhouseracing.com said...

Did you write this post in your head while you were on course? BTW- I saw you climbing powerline yesterday! I'm up in Leadville chilling out before the Breck 100. Stop by the hostel for a beer sometime this week!