Monday, May 24, 2010

Awwww geeze

Mother nature has not been cooperating since we got home from Tennessee. I have been riding the trainer way too often for May. For the record, once constitutes too often.

This was my deck this morning in the midst of the winter storm warning that's on for the rest of the day:

Instead of unleashing frustration on a bike somewhere in the great outdoors as I typically do, I decided to calm myself down with a Ed Abbey inspired Henry Lightcap-esque bread baking session. Though I have not yet snapped to the extent that that Henry did (shooting up my own refrigerator with a shotgun out of frustration) I did feel a similar level of frustration bubbling up. So, a deep breath and bread-by-hand was in order.


Baking bread always makes me feel better no matter what the occasion. It brings me back to some of the happiest days of my being when I worked summers in the back country huts for the Appalachian Mountain Club in northern New Hampshire as a cook and a pack mule. Plus, the house now smells of wonderful Rosemary Garlic bread, making it a lot more appealing to spend the day inside. Pumpkin bread was yesterday's catharsis. I wonder what I will make tomorrow? I am glad Nate likes to eat because now that I avoid gluten like the plague, someone has some feasting to do.

Going from this lovely evening birdwatching boat ride in Georgia in the high 80s to full-on winter has been trying.

At least someone is enjoying it...Nate has been skiing every day since we got home. I just can't muster the motivation to join him. That would require digging out my car.

At least the truck is cooling down after the looooong, hot trip to TN:

No comments: