Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Count Down to Leadville

I made it to Kremmling Monday night just in time for Asher's 1st birthday party. Burgers, gourmet hot dogs, chocolate cake and watching a one-year-old dive face first into his cake made my miserable 9-hr drive melt away. I kept on truckin' to Frisco after the festivities so I could start sleeping at 9100 feet. After 3 REM caps and a scathing article about Sarah Palin in Vanity Fair I was out for 10 hours.


Tuesday I went up to Leadville for an easy out-and-back on the beginning and last 10 miles of the course. Did a couple of openers on the St. Kevin's climb and was amazed at how good my lungs felt. I guess all that high altitude racing in June and July paid off! I happen to run into my teammate Wendy and her pal Jill who is just out cruising around in Colorado. It was really nice to see some familiar faces. Headed back to the condo, walked the dog twice, ate, went shopping, did homework, slept again. Exciting stuff.

Return from St. Kevin's-7 or so miles left...can you say power flats?


Heading back into the final miles...to the blvd.

The beginning of the boulevard. This is my least favorite part of the entire 100 miles. Seriously. A steep climb up loose baby-heads at mile, oh, say, 96. Good times.

On Wednesday, I got up a little earlier and headed down to Twin Lake to ride the climb to Columbine Mine. 10 miles out, just a hair above 3000 feet of elevation gain. I am starting to like this thing. Really. It isn't so heinous until the top 1/4, where it gets loose, steep and off camber and you have to hold your line to the right at all times or you will get run over by guys like Lance and Weins.

Approaching the top of Columbine. Off to the right is where is starts to get tricky.

The view from the top. I know I will not be able to appreciate it on Saturday when I am drooling all over my top tube, so pictures were in order.

I am feeling so incredibly ready to get after it on Saturday. My plan? Mentally commit to the sufferfest, ride as hard as I can and only focus on the things I can control. This year, more than ever, is going to be a total circus. Knowing that I am faster, fitter and smarter than I was in 2007 when I did it in 8hr 31min will encourage me to empty the bucket even more. I've got my splits mapped out, calories counted, bike dialed and a totally healed tailbone. I even have Maddy the dog here all week keeping me calm until Nate arrives on Friday. The only bummer about this year is that I was denied a front group call up :( Although I finished 61st overall in 2007, it wasn't last year, so I don't get a position in the front corral. I am also not associated with any race sponsors. My email from the LT100 that said "no"recognized that they "know that there are many fast riders that will be lined up behind that front corral."

Oh well,the answer is always no unless you ask, right? Looks like I will be lining up about 300-400 deep. I just heard that Rebecca Rusch is racing. Makes me wonder who else is racing who is not on the start list. Me? I got my yippee card in the lottery in February!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Go get em Amanda! Good Luck & Dig Deep!!!
-Murph

Christina said...

You got your MA crew here cheering for you, and sounds like you are as prepared as you could possibly BE! stay focused like I know you can, and you will ROCK this sufferfest!!! :) I even have people at work cheering for you, you know! KILL IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Our prayers are with you. You've done great prep work. We're sure that you'll be passing many early on and all by the end.
Love Mom and Dad

Sarah K said...

Super Good Luck Amanda! Kill it!