Thursday, January 1, 2009

Bring on 2009

Happy New Year everyone!

Thinking back on this past year puts a huge smile on my face. So many things went well in all areas of my and Nate's life it's almost hard to say goodbye to 2008. I'm typically a very forward-looking person, but if you had told me at this time last year that I would have quit my fantastic job as the Development Director of a cycling/pedestrian advocacy organization, joined a pro mountain bike team and started a masters degree program in Sports Psychology, I would have had a hard time controlling my laughter....I guess the joke is on me :)

I wouldn't want 2008 to go by without extending a HUGE thank you to my sponsors. The Kenda-Titus-Hayes team received generous support from lots of incredible companies. My teammates were great and I got to spend my first year as a pro mountain biker well-supported, allowing me to focus on simply riding as fast as I could. We were also incredibly fortunate that our title sponsor, Kenda, is one of the most supportive companies on the face of the planet of the entire mountain biking community. It is amazing to me how many races, athletes and events that Kenda sponsors. They truly believe in supporting mountain biking from every angle and also happen to make really, really good tires. They are a company that I am very, very proud to represent.

Of course the biggest thanks goes to my husband, Nate, for working on my bikes all year long and for being my most tenacious supporter, my loudest cheerleader and my favorite riding partner.


I'm happy to report that I will be riding for Kenda again in 2009. We also have a new bike sponsor: Tomac will be supplying us with these and these for bikes this year. Holy sexy looking bikes! I'm putting together the race schedule right now, but I am for sure planning on attending most of the new pro xc schedule races, the Firecracker 50, the National Championships in Granby, CO and a few stage races. I sent off my registration for the Leadville 100 yesterday, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will make it into that lottery.

As for the game plan? Well, thanks to my saint of a coach, Eric Orton, I don't have to worry about much. I am so incredibly fortunate to have a coach who knows me well, whose advice and direction I trust 110% and who listens to me. I know there are a lot of good coaches out there, but I can't help but feel like mine is one of the very best. I've learned everything I know about training from him, but I never feel as if I am being told what to do. He just has this incredible way about him that makes me feel as if everything I am doing is my own idea. He always encourages me to be the one driving the process. Pretty rad guy to have around!

Who knows what 2009 will bring? It's hard to imagine it topping 2008, but I'm up for the challenge.

No comments: