Monday, January 19, 2009

75 and Sunny

My time in Tucson has been splendid. Between riding a total of 31 hours, keeping up with my schoolwork and feeding myself, there's really been no time to do anything else but sleep and read a bit. The perfect training camp environment: sleep, ride, eat, repeat.

The weather here in southern AZ has been abnormally warm and believe me, coming from somewhere that it was -26 when I left, no one is appreciating the weather more than me! No matter how many times I apply spf 50 my biker tan is coming back in an even more brilliant format than before. Sweet. Now maybe when I am in the gym doing really strange, non-traditional weight work people will recognize me as one of those silly cyclists and stop gawking at me.

Here's what I have been riding this week:

Tucson Mountain Park. Great singletrack, perfect hardtail territory.

Golder Ranch's "The Chutes." There's a penalty cactus on
every inch of that trail. Makes it all the more exciting.


50 Year Trail in Catalina State Park. It actually took me about 50 minutes to pull out the 7,3829 cacti pricklies that found a home up in my leg after this ride.

Gates Pass Area from Tucson Mountain Park

Looking down on Mt. Lemmon Road. 27 miles of picture-perfect
climbing on the road made Saturday's 90 mile ride a "rewarding" day on the bike.

The other Mt. Lemmon Rd. The control road up the backside of Lemmon is awesome. 26 miles of easy climbing made for a very different experience than the day before. Me, a full hydrapak and a fully charged Ipod made for a great day of chillaxing in an easy gear for a low Z2 endurance day. Eric doesn't really believe in basemiles in the traditional sense, so I find that when I do get the rare day of "just ride as you feel" I really enjoy it!

Looks like someone forgot to lock their car at the trailhead. Oops.

Today is a rest day, so it's off for a 2hr easy road spin and a massage in the afternoon. I haven't gotten a massage in ages, so I'm hoping it's a good one. Even if it's not, you can't beat $45/hr. I love the big city - Trader Joes and cheap massages make Amanda a happy gal.

No comments: