Saturday, December 27, 2008

Indoor Training

With all my jibber-jabber about skiing lately, I guess the logical question is am I training at all for mountain biking? Yup, sure am. A lot. All the nordic, telemark and backcounty skiing I do simply adds to my aerobic base. My trainer rides are therefore short and to the point.

Training essentials: fan, towels, powermeter and computer for movie viewing.

Eric has come up with a great winter training plan for me. So far, we're concentrating mostly on my raw power. All my power testing has indicated that I'm good at pumping out consistently high watts for 5-8 min. but my short bursts of power are pretty pathetic. Luckily, training this weakness makes for highly entertaining trainer rides. I've been running, too. Maddy the dog is pretty happy about that. I'm also doing some sort of strength training on a daily basis, most of which I can do from home with these simple tools:

Bosu ball, kettle bells and power balls. Good times.

The DVD library.

2 more weeks on the trainer and then it's off to Tucson for 2 weeks. Mid-winter training trips help motivate me to ride the hamster wheel in preparation for the real road and dirt. With the endless snow and the high avalanche danger limiting our ability to get out for backcountry tours, I'm already craving the warm desert sun.

1 comment:

Not Specified said...

Sounds like you need to do some intervals! yeah, keep the trips happening. If I still lived in Wilson I'd be driving to warmer mountains for ridge running to keep the "blood flowing," so to speak.

Cross Training and Aerobic Base, Amen.