Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Crazy Weather in the Tetons

I spent most of the morning cleaning up the house and catching up on weeks of neglected chores due to a busy race and travel schedule. Nothing reminds you more of how much you have neglected things than scrubbing bathrooms. I also spent time in the garden weeding and cutting my first harvest! I filled a few bags with some very yummy mixed greens, bib lettuce, some swiss chard and bok choy and we had our first home-grown salads for dinner tonight. I was so busy I didn't notice the afternoon forecast: severe t-storms. Time to boogie.

I set our for an endurance ride on the road out to Targhee, up Horseshoe Canyon and then back home to Victor on the bike path. It was sunny for much of it, then when I got to the top of Horseshoe, the crazy-dark-puffy-"I'm going to get you" clouds started to build. I knew I had an hour ride home, so I hit the gas and tried to stay ahead of it. I had just barely hung up my road bike in the shed when ka-BOOM! 40mph winds, dime-sized hail and rain started coming down and bouncing off my deck like this:
and this:

This is what was chasing me home:
Teton Valley was in desperate need of some rain, for sure. The weather gods were looking after me with their decided timing of today's storm. The only bummer was that the hail did a number on my garden. The swiss chard now looks more like swiss cheese.

No comments: